Search By Barcode
Search any item by it barcode
Search By Barcode
This module expends Odoo functionality, allowing user to search any item by its barcode.
Table of contents
- In the main menu click on the barcode new button
- In the pop up form, enter the barcode and click on the search button
Case 1: One item found
If an item is found, the pop up is closed, and the form view of the item is displayed. (Demo data with 0419100000009 to search a partner)
Case 2: Many items found
If many items are found, the list of the items are displayed and the user can go on the according form view by clicking on the button on the end of the line. This case can occur:
- in a normal case, if a barcode is associated to many models. Two typical cases are : product.product / product.template and res.users / res.partner. (Demo data with 3057068106783 to search a product)
- if the database is corrupted, and a barcode is set to many differents items.
Case 3: Barcode with specific rule
In some specifics cases when the barcode contains extra data (like price or weight), the barcode will be different than the product barcode. In that case, the item is displayed, and the data is analysed.
Exemple : Barcode 2391000005002 when:
- 23 is a prefix
- 91000 is a base code of the product
- 00500 is the price
- 2 is a control digit
If this barcode is entered, the product with the barcode 2391000000007 will be returned.
Use in other modules
The search will be done on all the fields named barcode in any models.
For developers, there are one handy method in barcode.search as well:
result = self.env['barcode.search'].search_by_barcode('12345567890123')
@api.model def search_by_barcode(self, barcode): """Return the record associated with the barcode. Args: barcode (str): Barcode string to search for. Returns: a tuple (Field, BaseModel, ExtraData) Field: a record of the field that matched the search BaseModel: A record matching the barcode, if existing ExtraData: An optional dictionnary that provides extra informations """
- If you want to make a search on a field that is not named 'barcode', you should overload the function get_barcode_fields of the model barcode.search.
- If you want to implement another integration of extra data in a barcode via a rule, you should overload the function get_model_by_rule_type of the model barcode.search.
For the time being, three rule types are handled:
- weight, defined in Odoo stock module
- price, defined in Odoo point_of_sale module
- price_to_weight, defined in OCA pos_price_to weight module
Bugs are tracked on GitHub Issues. In case of trouble, please check there if your issue has already been reported. If you spotted it first, help us smashing it by providing a detailed and welcomed feedback.
Do not contact contributors directly about support or help with technical issues.
This module is maintained by the OCA.
OCA, or the Odoo Community Association, is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to support the collaborative development of Odoo features and promote its widespread use.
This module is part of the OCA/stock-logistics-barcode project on GitHub.
You are welcome to contribute. To learn how please visit https://odoo-community.org/page/Contribute.