Contributors mailing list archives
Re: RFQ for the migration of odoo-community.org from v8 to v10by
1. As far as I understood, we use OpenUpgrade (OU) framework to do the migration. It is incremental which means we need to go from v8 to v9, v9 to v10, then v10 to v11 step by step. The more we postpone, the more workload we need to handle.
2. Getting the latest features / securities / bugs fixing / improvements updates is necessary. I don't want to stay with an old version for so long, like everyone is using Windows 10 while I'm with Windows 95 (just an example, maybe I overstate it ^^)
Hello,Please do not forget to email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested to bid on this RFQ.Thanks!On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Houssine BAKKALI <email@example.com> wrote:I was expecting response in benefits on the website maturity and mail marketing.For the 25% of speed does it was a problem for OCA ? :)As already said it was a question on the opportunity for OCA to migrate not a step against v10 :)Not convinced by the role of OCA to promote the latest version of Odoo community (review on the v10 from camp2camp make me think that except for website, speed and getting ride of the old API... community version wasn't a revolutionary version).It was also a tentative to get what we get versus what we loose. Gant chart view for example (which has never been a feature killer on v8) but fair enough.Le 21 janv. 2017 20:53, "Daniel Reis" <firstname.lastname@example.org> a écrit :An important motivation to upgrade OCA to v10 are the website features: v8 was the first release for website, it feels a little clumsy and we have some challenges to have blog posts and website pages to look good.These are more rounded and robust in v10, and we expect to take advantage of that to improve OCA's communication.And, as Ray said, the OCA should set the example, so why not?
No dia 21/01/2017, às 19:08, email@example.com escreveu:
Even with no change in functionality or speed I strongly support this initiative:
- the OCA’s mission is to “promote the widespread use of Odoo and to support the collaborative development of Odoo features” so it should be using the newest version possible.
- all members of the community are being offered the chance to be part of project that they can be paid for.
- the scripts to migrate will be made available to the Community and will adhere to GITHUB quality checks, further contributing to the publicly available repository of knowledge about Odoo.
From: Nhomar Hernandez [Vauxoo] [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2017 10:24 AM
To: Contributors <email@example.com>
Subject: Re: RFQ for the migration of odoo-community.org from v8 to v10
25 percent more speed.
RIP to old API.
Be aligned with new tools, mail marketing, better KPI.
Better and cleaner project management.
Better chatter (@user works)
Do I continue?
Every cent in maintain in the latest will give us better position technically and functionally, I hope it helps?
On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 11:38 Houssine BAKKALI <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
That's true but there is not added value of migrating to a next version without pointing the benefits we get to migrate. If it's just to be on the last version its pointless. if it's for having new features brought by the v10 community. I'm not against the migration at all, i'm just curious to know about the benefits and if it's worth the investment.
2017-01-21 17:53 GMT+01:00 David Lasley <email@example.com>:
IMO a new version is always around the corner, so holding off an upgrade to wait for the next version is an endless cycle of waiting.
On Jan 21, 2017, at 07:38, Houssine BAKKALI <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
Sorry for hijacking this thread but I'm just wondering why there is the need to migrate to v10 while v11 is coming end of year? Except that support for v8 is stopping with the v11 release... v8 is quiet stable now and community can leave with 6 or 9 months without additional fixes to v8 from odoo sa.
There for sure lot of good reasons to migrate and will be happy to hear.
Sorry to come up with this while the decision has already been taken.
If needed I can start a new thread.
Hi Dave and Contributors,
As suggested in the document, you are welcomed to partner with other companies or individuals to build your team and make an offer.
Thanks for the invite to participate!
We do not have any experience with OpenUpgrade on our end at this time, so I would not feel confident providing a bid for this job.
I will keep an eye out for relevant PRs and add reviews though. Thanks again for
On behalf of the OCA board, I am proud to invite you to bid on the migration of odoo-community.org from Odoo v8 to Odoo v10.
I believe all the details are available in the attached documents.
Please email email@example.com,
- if you have any question
- if you plan to answer
- if you want to answer but you can't (we'd like to know why)
Have a great week-end.
Post to: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Sent from my mobile.
Open Architects Consulting, Houssine BAKKALI