Contributors mailing list archives
RE: Translation in Odoo and OCAby
This is how I do it:
I use poedit to create or update translations locally.
I only work on the "fr" versions since I noticed that only the fr.po files are taken into account during the installation of the modules, (not the fr_FR) (maybe I missed something ?)
Once the translation is done, I test it locally by importing the created fr.po file in Odoo and I check that the texts are consistent in the menus and forms.
Then, I import the fr.po file on translation.odoo-community.org by using the "Files/upload translation" (« Fichiers/Téléverser la traduction ») function.
Sometimes I get comments on my translations (example : sbi on MIS-Builder) and I correct accordingly.
For the moment, I don't dare to work on the official modules. There are few missing terms and when it is the case I correct locally (I know, it is not good...).
Have a nice day
Yves Le Doeuff
Tél. 02 23 20 03 25 – Fax. 02 23 20 03 26
2, rue de la Senestrais – 35520 La Chapelle des Fougeretz
P Pensez ENVIRONNEMENT : n'imprimer que si nécessaire.
De : Alexis de Lattre [mailto:email@example.com]
Envoyé : jeudi 22 juillet 2021 12:28
À : Contributors
Objet : Translation in Odoo and OCA
Dear OCA friends,
I'm about to start an initiative to improve the French translation of Odoo v14 (official and OCA modules), which is currently very poor compared to other languages before the release of v15. My experience on this topic is very limited, so I have several questions and I'm interested in some advice from translation communities of other languages.
I'm interested by the experience of other Odoo translation communities that achieve high coverage and high quality (but not where only 1 company makes all the translation work) :
- How are you organised ?
- How do you ensure that translations are "coherent" among official and OCA modules ? For example, making sure that "Currency" is always translated by "Devise" and not by "Monnaie". Or how to translate "Quantity on hand" vs "Available quantity" (in the current French translation of Odoo, these 2 terms have the same translation which is a big problem !!!).
- Are translations mostly done by developers or by non-developers ?
- How do you motivate translators ?
- What are the best practice for translation communities on Odoo/OCA ?
I only found this page, which gives very little information https://odoo-community.org/page/translate
Here are my questions :
- what is the delay between translation in Weblate and commit on Github (it seems very fast ; commits seem to be done on a daily basis...)
- Does a moderation/review take place before commit on Github for untranslated terms ? (seems that the answer is "no") and when we change/improve a translation ?
- are there different access rights for translation of a particular language ? If yes, who is the "master" for French language ?
For the official modules, there is a wiki page which gives a lot of information :
I read that there are 3 levels of access rights :
In my Transifex profile, it says :
lang French of the team "Odoo Translators"
So I guess I'm at the first level. Do some of you see "Odoo Reviewers'" or "Odoo Coordinator" on your profile page ? How can I know who is the Coordinator for the French language ?
On the wiki page, it says that Reviewers "Can approve translation suggestions from Translators". But, when I translate some odoo strings in Transifex, it seems that my changes are commited without review. Or is it only when I change an existing translation ? All these access rights are not clear to me.
I remember that, a few years ago, there was a page on a wiki or Etherpad, where there was some guidelines/instructions for the French translation : this page said for example that "Currency" should always be translated by "Devise" (and not "Monnaie"), etc... But I don't find this page any more...
Thanks in advance for your answers !