Overdue Invoice Reminder
Simple mail/letter/phone overdue customer invoice reminder
Overdue Invoice Reminder
This Odoo module is designed to send overdue invoice reminders to customers. It handles reminders by e-mail, letter and phone.
This module is an alternative to the OCA module account_credit_control. Why another module for invoice reminders ? Because the module account_credit_control is quite complex (we experienced that some users find it too complex and eventually stop using it) and its interface is designed to send massive volume of reminders.
This module has been designed from the start with the following priorities:
- keep control: you must keep tight control on the overdue invoice reminders that you send. Overdue invoice reminders are part of the communication with your customers, and this is very important to keep a good relation with your customers.
- usability: the module is easy to configure and easy to use.
- no accounting skills needed: the module can be used by users without accounting skills. It can even be used by salesman!
- multi-currency: if you invoice your customer in another currency that your company currency, the invoice reminders only mention the currency of the invoices. And if you invoice a customer with different currencies, the reminder is clear and easy-to-understand by your customer, with a total residual per currency.
- multi-channel: supports overdue invoice reminders by e-mail (default), phone and letter.
- simplicity: for the developers, the code is small and easy to understand.
The specifications written before starting the development of this module are written in this document (in French).
The module has one important limitation: it sends a reminder for an invoice when it has past it's Due Date (which is in fact the Final Due Date): if the invoice has a payment term with several lines, it won't send a reminder before the last term is overdue.
An overdue reminder for a customer always include all the overdue invoices of that customer.
The module supports a clever per-invoice reminder counter mechanism:
- the reminder counter is a property of an invoice,
- the reminder counter of each overdue invoice is incremented when sending a reminder by email or by post. It is not incremented for reminders by phone.
- in an email or a letter, the subject will be Overdue invoice reminder n°N where N is the maximum value of the counter of the overdue invoices plus one.
There are two user interfaces to send reminders:
- the one-by-one interface, which displays one screen for each customer that has overdue invoices, one after the other. You should use this interface when you have a reasonable volume of reminders to send (less than 100 overdue reminders for example). It gives you a tight control on the reminders and the possibility to easily and rapidly customize the reminder e-mails.
- the mass interface, which displays a list view of all customers that have overdue invoices, and you can process several reminders at the same time (via the Actions menu).
This video tutorial in English will show you how to configure and use the module: Youtube link.
Table of contents
Of course, before sending invoice reminders, you must import your bank statements and process them, so that you are up-to-date on customer payments.
Then, go to the menu Invoicing > Customers > Overdue Invoice Remind: you will get the start screen where you can:
- filter the customers that you want to remind (filter by customer or by salesman),
- check that your bank journals are up-to-date,
- choose between the one-by-one and mass interfaces,
- customize some parameters.
Then follow the process until the end.
You can also start the invoice reminder wizard via the button Overdue Reminder on an overdue invoice.
Bugs are tracked on GitHub Issues. In case of trouble, please check there if your issue has already been reported. If you spotted it first, help us smashing it by providing a detailed and welcomed feedback.
Do not contact contributors directly about support or help with technical issues.
This module is maintained by the OCA.
OCA, or the Odoo Community Association, is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to support the collaborative development of Odoo features and promote its widespread use.
This module is part of the OCA/credit-control project on GitHub.
You are welcome to contribute. To learn how please visit https://odoo-community.org/page/Contribute.
Once the user has seen at least one product this snippet will be visible.