Contributors mailing list archives
Migration tools proposalby
Groupement Régional Alimentaire de Proximité, Sylvain LE GAL
I recently though to develop a new OCA module to make more easy analysis when we have to estimate the workload of a migration.
Regularly, we have an instance we'd like to migrate in a new version and we want to know which Core modules are covered by OpenUpgrade, and which OCA modules have been ported.
I already talked with some OCA members that told me that they have custom scripts to make this analysis. My idea is to make an OCA module that should be installed on the OCA instance of the OCA and that provides this analysis easier.
Input of the module :
- A list of the modules installed. (Core modules, OCA modules, ...)
- the current version of the instance
- the target version you want to migrate.
Output of the module :
- a table with all the work already done and all the work that remains.
Technical information :
- The analysis will be based on the data available with the github modules and the content of the migration coverage file available in each release of OpenUpgrade. (10 to 11 coverage file)
- a "client" module could be developped too, that should be installed in the instance you want to migrate, and that could communicate with the OCA instance, to get the analysis.
- How do you realize such analysis for the time being in your company ?
- Do you think such tools could be relevant and supported by the OCA ?
Thanks for your answers.
Open Source Integrators, Daniel Reis