Contributors mailing list archives
Re: Place to share knowledge/tools on deploymentby
Yeah, OCA might probably endorse it later on when OCA wishes to. Absolutely!
From a constituency point of view, OCA does not seem to be able to add shared legitimacy. This needs to be provided by the involved actors themselves.
Namely, to my knowledge, those are:
- Tecnativa (doodba)
- Camptocamp (Odoo cloud platform, and other tooling, anthem, marabunta)
- Acsone (odoo-bedrock, click-odoo, Bob templates, and other tooling)
- Akretion (docky and other tooling)
- XOE ( DockeryOdoo & OdooOperator and a couple of forks / mix&match from Acsone and Camptocamp)
Can we pass the point where PRoC > PRoSP (Perceived Return on Collaboration > Persived Return on Siloed Project) for those actors?
El mié., 30 oct. 2019, 1:27 a.m., Russell Briggs <email@example.com> escribió:
Great stuff David!Yeah it feels like this should eventually become an OCA project once it gets some traction, since it is potentially quite a fundamental community component?I will have a read and make some comments in a bit :)RussOn Wed, 30 Oct 2019, 9:57 AM David Arnold, <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:By the way I commit by all means NOT to retain unique ownership on the OdooOps GitHub organization. Any meritable community, abiding by the self constituing decision making processes (e.g. ODEPs) is eligible to share the burdon. ;-)El mar., 29 oct. 2019, 3:50 p.m., David Arnold <email@example.com> escribió:Hi all,I redacted a first ODEP 0002 in Order to propose the constituency of a docker base runtime repository.I stepped over some steps and wrote down everything I had in mind.For legitimacy building, please comment on the PR and indicate your level of approval:Approve: Section 1, Section 2, etc.Disaprove: Section 4Ideally we would get unanimous approval of the "Motivation" section, so this section could be merged quickly.According to the eminent approval levels I'll outfactor parts into separate PRs / Discussions.Please leave your opinion / approval level, even if you are only a user and no active committer of the Odoo docker community.BR,David A.El dom., 27 oct. 2019, 11:36 p.m., David Arnold <firstname.lastname@example.org> escribió:I plan to eventually write up some "ODEPs" ( like python PEPs ) " Odoo Dev Enhancement Proposal " where I want to lay out the reasoning behind some design decisions I made in DockeryOdoo over the past few years.However, I have a problem: if there is no second owner of such proposals and if there is no legitimate approval process of any sort, it's going to be yet another tribal silo.So I hope by writing up some "ODEPs", the discussion might get a chance to become structured, hence contribution might get a chance to become structured, hence consolidation and mind share might become a chance to get structured. Hence a legitimate constituency for this topic (outside of OCA path dependent reasoning) will be possible.People might think "what an overkill", but ultimately, we all know, that pulling tribes together around a common goal is not only a challenging task since open source communities exist.Maybe the best approach is formulating understandable, complete and concise proposals in human readable form (the vision behind "ODEPs").My 2 cents.El dom., 27 oct. 2019, 10:07 a.m., Maxime Chambreuil <email@example.com> escribió:The interest will grow if the few involve here make it work...El dom., 27 de octubre de 2019 08:16, <firstname.lastname@example.org> escribió:What is the next step for this to move on?- Should we put to vote Maxime's idea to create those 2 repositories? Where would they live?- Or is it better to keep the discussion outside of OCA? David Arnold prepared a place (odooOps)?It would be nice to know who is interested by this topic.tnx--Yves Goldberg------- Original message -----From: Maxime Chambreuil <email@example.com>To: Contributors <firstname.lastname@example.org>Subject: Re: Place to share knowledge/tools on deploymentDate: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 19:52Hi Jordi,I think we could start with:
- one repository to store a base/minimal docker image + documented extensions.
- one repository per orchestrator (or 1 for all) where we can share configuration with documentation of how to orchestrate the previous Docker imagesMy 2 cents.On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 11:22 AM Jordi Riera <email@example.com> wrote:Hello list,During the OCA code sprint in belgium, I had the opportunity to talk again about docker. While the first talk, in 2018, was focused on usage of Docker. This year, the discussion focused on orchestration solutions.The discussion was interesting and it was found that we could use a place to share good practices and solutions. Regarding orchestration, but also on dockers (odoo and other services like postgres, acsone/kwkhtmltopdf) and around deployments helpers (git-aggregator, gitoo, clik-odoo, etc.)How would you see it ?What do you think about to start with a single place where we could have docker-compose templates (or link to repo with templates) and best practices, FAQs, etc (I was thinking questions like: https://odoo-community.org/groups/contributors-15/contributors-148040?mode=thread&date_begin=&date_end=)The aim would be to ease the adoption of docker based infrastructure over OCA members. Docker-compose is a good tool to ease docker adoption.Let me know what you thinkJordi