Contributors mailing list archives
Translation in Odoo and OCAby
Alexinux, Alexis de Lattre
Dear OCA friends,
I'm about to start an initiative to improve the French translation of Odoo v14 (official and OCA modules), which is currently very poor compared to other languages before the release of v15. My experience on this topic is very limited, so I have several questions and I'm interested in some advice from translation communities of other languages.
I'm interested by the experience of other Odoo translation communities that achieve high coverage and high quality (but not where only 1 company makes all the translation work) :
- How are you organised ?
- How do you ensure that translations are "coherent" among official and OCA modules ? For example, making sure that "Currency" is always translated by "Devise" and not by "Monnaie". Or how to translate "Quantity on hand" vs "Available quantity" (in the current French translation of Odoo, these 2 terms have the same translation which is a big problem !!!).
- Are translations mostly done by developers or by non-developers ?
- How do you motivate translators ?
- What are the best practice for translation communities on Odoo/OCA ?
I only found this page, which gives very little information https://odoo-community.org/page/translate
Here are my questions :
- what is the delay between translation in Weblate and commit on Github (it seems very fast ; commits seem to be done on a daily basis...)
- Does a moderation/review take place before commit on Github for untranslated terms ? (seems that the answer is "no") and when we change/improve a translation ?
- are there different access rights for translation of a particular language ? If yes, who is the "master" for French language ?
For the official modules, there is a wiki page which gives a lot of information :
I read that there are 3 levels of access rights :
In my Transifex profile, it says :
lang French of the team "Odoo Translators"
So I guess I'm at the first level. Do some of you see "Odoo Reviewers'" or "Odoo Coordinator" on your profile page ? How can I know who is the Coordinator for the French language ?
On the wiki page, it says that Reviewers "Can approve translation suggestions from Translators". But, when I translate some odoo strings in Transifex, it seems that my changes are commited without review. Or is it only when I change an existing translation ? All these access rights are not clear to me.
I remember that, a few years ago, there was a page on a wiki or Etherpad, where there was some guidelines/instructions for the French translation : this page said for example that "Currency" should always be translated by "Devise" (and not "Monnaie"), etc... But I don't find this page any more...
Thanks in advance for your answers !
ALLIASYS, Yves Le Doeuff
22/07/2021 11:02:19 - 5