3. Powerful, Productive, Extensible Full Stack!
17. Thank You!
8. Who is the Odoo Community? “ Multi race rebels”
15. A Vision for the OCA ~ Odoo FOSS Edition Business Feature Library
1. Odoo Community: Building truly Open Source Business Apps Daniel Reis, OCA Days 2019
6. But Community Edition is lagging behind ● Accounting and other key features removed. ● Version upgrades not available.
2. Odoo, the Open Source Framework for Business Apps ● Open source. ● Ready to use, Opinionated Full Stack. ● High Productivity. ● Business features, not just infrastructure!
12. Beyond Quality: building a “Business Open Source” Ecosystem ● Uphold FOSS values, as a key enabler for collaboration. ● Promote face to face events, such as code sprints. ● Provide a channel for businesses to leverage the community’s know-how and experience.
4. Odoo SA, the company driving the Odoo product ● Tightly drives the Odoo product. ● Evolved from pure GPL to Open Core. ● Community Edition compromises: ● “ 80% CE / 20%EE” ● “ What is in CE stays in CE”
11. The First Challenge: Fixing the Quality Problem ● Organize code repositories and maintainer structures. ● Define common workflows, standards and guidelines. ● Provide licensing protection to the contributed code. ● Build tools for automated quality checks, tests quality checks and manual live testing. ● Promote code reuse, prefer to improve existing features rather than create a new similar one.
9. Who Is the Community? ● From Open Source to Business – Open source supporters. – Hackers, hobbyists and students. – Independent IT Professionals. ● From Business to Open Source – Business owners, CIOs and IT Departments. – Seasoned IT Consultants, running from closed ERPs.
13. Not a Fork, but Complementing Odoo SA! ● Develop topics not relevant for Odoo SA – Python ecosystem – Too complex or specific features ● Provide solutions for CE missing features – Open scripts for version upgrades – Maintain features removed from CE ● Solutions for common business scenarios not covered by EE and CE
14. Not a Fork, but Complementing Odoo SA! ● Develop topics not relevant for Odoo SA – Python ecosystem – Too complex or specific features ● Provide solutions for CE missing features – Open scripts for version upgrades – Maintain features removed from CE ● Solutions for common business scenarios not covered by EE and CE
16. How to Contribute to the OCA ● Participate in a Project: m a n u a l t e s t s , f u n c t i o n a l r e v i e w s , code reviews, translate. ● Contribute code: extract a reusable feature and propose it to an OCA project, propose functional designs for new features. ● Become a Member: subscribe a membership to help support OCAs infrastructure running costs. ● Become a Sponsor: support the OCA’s work and events.
7. The Community Origins ● C o d e o f t e n n o t p u b l i s h e d o r h a r d t o f i n d . ● No common coding guidelines. ● No quality control or reliability. ● Feature duplication and overlap. ● Not functional, hard to collaborate
- 496 Total Views
- 317 Website Views
- 179 Embedded Views
- Social Shares
- 0 Likes
- 0 Dislikes
- 0 Comments
- 0 Facebook
- 0 Twitter
- 0 Google+
2019 Odoo Experience Presentation1458 Views .
WMS for Odoo - OCA Days 2019.pdf673 Views .
Discover GraphQL with Python, Graphene and Odoo636 Views .
Field Service Management633 Views .
MIS Builder Workshop627 Views .
Accessing Records Faster323 Views .
What can go wrong, will go wrong.308 Views .
Manage your legal team activities with Odoo302 Views .
OCA: Experiencia, Gestión, Funcionamiento297 Views .
How to contribute to the OCA270 Views .
Purchase Order Accruals256 Views .